Sunday, May 29, 2011

Viola's Monologue

Viola only has one main monologue, so, I am going with that. It's in Act II, Scene 2. At the end of Act I, after Viola has sought out Olivia to confess Orsino, the Duke of Illyria's love for her - we see that Olivia is rather infatuated with 'Cesario' who is really Viola in disguise. Viola's monologue picks up after Malvolio, Olivia's steward (who is also in love with Olivia) is ordered to deliver a ring that Viola-Cesario 'left behind.' It's really an excuse for Olivia to see Viola-Cesario again. When Malvolio leaves, Viola puzzles over his message. She questions if Olivia has fallen in love with her.

Act 2 Scene 2
A street near Olivia's house


VIOLA I left no ring with her. What means this lady?
               Fortune forbid my outside have not charmed her!
               She made good view of me, indeed so much
               That, methought her eyes had lost her tongue,
               For she did speak in starts distractedly.
               She loves me sure; the cunning of her passion
               Invites me in this churlish messenger.
               None of my lord’s ring? Why, he sent her none;
               I am the man; if it be so, as ’tis,
               Poor lady, she were better love a dream.
               Disguise, I see thou art a wickedness,
               Wherein the pregnant enemy does much.
               How easy is it for the proper-false
               In women’s waxen hearts to set their forms!
               Alas, our frailty is the cause, not we,
               For such as we are made of, such we be.
               How will this fadge? My master loves her dearly,
               And I, poor monster, fond as much on him,
               And she, mistaken, seems to dote on me.
               What will become of this? As I am man,
               My state is desperate for my master’s love;
               As I am woman - now, alas the day! -
               What thriftless sighs shall poor Olivia breathe?
               O time, thou must untangle this, not I;
               It is too hard a knot for me t’untie.

No comments:

Post a Comment